/> />

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Yes, I am I

For folks who asked whether I am I, yes I am.

Its great to read the comments exceeding a hundred from different parts of the world since the blog surfaced into the public domain some 24 hours ago. I appreciate the views, however diverse or diametrical. I want to go one step further and invite bloggers to furnish me with concrete information which could be useful in Parliament or outside to press on the cause for democracy, justice, accountability, transparency, integrity and good governance. For privacy, use email.

Maverick SM has a point that the likes of Cheong Choong Kongs cannot succeed in MAS or the GLCs because of political interferences and cronyism. The Internet however has provided an opportunity for such abuses and excesses to be exposed. What is needed is information.

There is however another pertinent point. Cheong Choong Kong left University of Malaya as Associate Professor of Mathematics to join SIA in 1974, rising up to become the CEO of what has been described as “one of the best-known and best-performing brands in Asia”. If Cheong Choong Kong had joined MAS in 1974 instead, what would have been his career path?

LC has a great idea. Why don’t we have an inventory of Malaysians who have achieved excellence, distinction and recognition in foreign lands like Cheong Choong Kong – to remind ourselves (all Malaysians) what the country has lost because of the brain-drain.This blog is prepared to host and assemble such an inventory, but we need names, designations, locales, dates so that it is an authoritative though not official list.

bigjoe99 evokes reminiscences of yesteryears, bringing to my mind the poem “I remember, I remember” which I learnt in school. There are memories and memories. The question is how they can be harnessed to remake the world.

On the suggestion from rakyat, the blog will feature statements/articles related to the controversy about UMNO Youth’s proposal for the revival of the New Economic Policy as the New National Agenda.

Finally, I wish to thank bloggers who have offered assistance for a newbie. Don’t be surprised if I take up the offers.