/> />

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Wanna be born again as Malaysian in next life?

In your next life, would you want to be born a Malaysian again? How would you answer?

This was the question posed by Wa FM radio programme last evening. I said this was akin to asking whether a Malaysian would want to emigrate from the country. I would not emigrate as I believe that my battle for a better society is here. Similarly I would not think of wanting to be born a different nationality in another life.

When May 13 riots erupted in Kuala Lumpur in 1969, I was in Kota Kinabalu speaking at a huge public rally in support of the general election campaign of the independent parliamentary candidate, William Lye (who later became a Berjaya Federal Deputy Minister). Early the next morning, I was served with an eviction order by the Sabah Chief Minister, Tun Mustapha in gross abuse of the state immigration powers, but by a fluke, I escaped an attempt on my life because I missed the daily flight out of the state capital.

As the MAS at the time could not land at the Subang Airport with the imposition of the curfew in the Klang Valley, I spent three nights in Singapore monitoring developments back home.

Through phone, I was warned by party leaders and friends not to return as I was on the blacklist for detention under the Internal Security Act, but as I felt that having just been elected MP in the May 10, 1969 general election, my place must be with the people at a time of national hardships and not to become a fugitive, I flew back on May 18, 1969 when conditions were more settled and MAS could land in Subang Airport – straight into the waiting arms of the Special Branch. But this is another story. I mention it to illustrate why I do not consider emigration as an option.

I could understand, however, why tens and probably hundreds of thousands of professionals emigrated in the 70s and 80s, not to seek a better life for themselves but primarily for the sake of the educational future of their children. In Parliament in the 70s and 80s, I spoke out loud and clear deploring the short-sighted attitude of top government leaders who dismissed the brain-drain as “Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish”.

Are we on the threshold of a second “brain-drain” with the UMNO Youth call for the throwback to a NEP revival? A second “brain-drain” will be a much more Malaysian one in composition, as more and more Malays are also alienated by the oppressive and undemocratic political, religious, educational and intellectual atmosphere, the corruption and lack of accountability, transparency and good governance – most recently illustrated by the long-running but still unresolved APs scandal, which only created helicoptering AP Kings.

I have been asked whether I had been a recipient of AP – “ever” in my life. I have already given a clear answer before – No. If there are people who do not understand simple English, it is just too bad.